Friday, March 09, 2012

Little Victories

Oh the trials and tribulations of potty training! Beau first took an interest in going to the potty last summer when he was just shy of his second birthday. As excited as I was about that prospect, I was dealing with a colicky baby and so potty training just was not a priority. I did buy a little “potty chair” which Beau immediately took a liking too. Of course, at first he sat on it, fully clothed, shouting, “Yee haw!” But eventually his interest in it deepened.

When we decided to really go after the whole potty training adventure we needed a plan – something to incentivize stopping what he was doing just to sit and relieve himself. Well, knowing how much this kid likes to eat, we gave him “treats.” Treats were not one specific item; treats were whatever he asked for after a successful potty break (within reason, of course).

Well, this strategy worked pretty well. That is until we realized that he was not using the potty when he HAD to go. He was using the potty when he WANTED a treat. Big difference. But what do you do? Eventually he discovered the joy of poo poo’ing on the potty. Yes, you laugh, but the moment he did that and discovered how wonderful it felt not to walk around with a giant load between his legs, he actually started to tell us when he had to go, before he had to go. SUCCESS!!

And then, something else happened, after about a week of pooping only on the potty, I noticed that his entire diaper was dry. Well, school noticed too because Wednesday afternoon his teacher asked Billy to please only send Beau to school in “big boy” underwear. He was ready. Oh my goodness! He was ready!!

Yesterday was officially Beau’s first day in big boy underwear. When he woke up he immediately asked to go to the potty. While he sat on the pot listing which treats he would like (“gummies…red m&m…chocky milk…applesauce…”) I handed him his “Big boy” underwear and informed him he would be wearing these to school that day. He grabbed them, clutched them tight to his chest and beamed one of his big old smiles. Excited? I’d say so.

Well, guess what? He was ready. Day one came and went and not a single accident. The little guy stayed high and dry. We are so very proud of him, and he’s pretty proud of himself too. I know that he’s likely to have a set back here and there, but what a huge step. Our little man is growing up. Now, if only he could wipe his own booty. Now THAT’S a serious victory.
So I don't have any stills of him on the pot...but here's a few second video of him telling Charlie to give him some privacy. 

No comments: