Monday, January 03, 2011

First Day of School

Today marked Beau's first day of school at My Little Sprout.  We've been getting him ready for the transition for some time now.  We changed his meal and nap schedule to reflect his school schedule.  We've been shopping for fun "play clothes."  And he spent a couple hours at the daycare a few weeks ago and met his teachers.  On this last one he had a bit of an advantage as Nan is one of the teachers for the one year old class - lucky duck! 

I even did a little preparation of my own.  Beau needed a mat cover for his kinder mat and I couldn't find any I, I mean, he liked.  So I pulled out my sewing machine for the first time in a year and made a mat cover.  With the extra fabric I made a matching bag for his school supplies (ie, extra clothes, wipes, and aquaphor).  I'm no master seamstress, but I was proud of the final product. 

This morning started off as any normal morning - so much so Beau was too preoccupied with playing and visiting with Daddy and Murphy to stop for me to get an official "first day of school" photo.  THIS is what I ended up with instead. 


Once at school we explored his room.  Ok, I explored his room; he immediately began playing with toys and his new friends.  In fact, there were no tears when I left.  Hell, he didn't even realize I was leaving.  I had to chase him down to steal a kiss. 

Each kiddo has their own folder for "important paperwork."  See those little handprint antler paintings peeking out of the top?  I can't wait for my own little handprint paintings!! 
Beau's class will learn how to express themselves beyond screaming.  Wow, won't that be nice? 

Hmmmm...yes, we may have issues with no. 2. 


The day went very well, with one exception - NAP TIME.  Beau is a notoriously bad napper, unless he sleeps in his own crib.  At school each child walks up to their mat, lays down, covers themself with a blanket, and nods off.  When Billy and I first heard that we both thought, "HA!  Like that's going to happen."  Turns out we were right.  While other kiddos went immediately to sleep Beau refused to nap on his mat, choosing instead to nap on a teacher's shoulder or otherwise cry.  Hmmmm...better luck tomorrow.  

Oh, and how do we know how the other kids behaved?  Because Beau's school runs a live video stream on the password protected website.  It's a pain to get into, but once you're there, the footage is priceless.  The kids are adorable.  And let's just say I have A LOT more respect for Lindsay's profession. 

When time came to pick him up he was in good spirits but obviously exhausted from his lack of a good nap.  He ran to me when he saw me and started crying...just a little.  (This might be terrible, but it made my heart melt again - he still needs me!)  Once home it was a quick dinner and bath and then off to sleep.  Man, falling asleep tonight simply took me turning off the light.  By the time I walked to our rocking chair, he was O-U-T! 


So, Beau survived his first day of school.  And, with the 24/7 video stream available, so did his Maw Maw and Paw Paw.  Yes, his best buddies are going through withdrawal just 24 hours into the new schedule.  But I'm sure they'll make it.  After all, they'll be here tomorrow evening just to visit. 

Here's to tomorrow! 

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Kel,

Get ready for Beau to be exhausted all week! I remember Core's first day of school and boy he was pooped!
Glad his first day went well ( well, all but the nap)!

Rebecca said...

What a big boy, and a huge milestone~~ This is a great post, I love getting to hear about his First Day and seeing pictures of his school :)